Welcome to longlines. Notes, photos and articles from Europe, America, the Middle East, Australia and the Pacific will be posted here. All comments are welcome.

Friday, February 13, 2015

Julia Creek



The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don’t know what you’re doing, someone else does
Burke Street, Julia Creek, Queensland
 I planned my first longlines blog of 2015 to be an introduction to my home for the next few months.  Julia Creek is a small town in North West Queensland, Australia.  It is, in my opinion, the prettiest town along the Flinders Highway between Charters Towers and Mt Isa. 


Post Office Julia Creek
All afire with enthusiasm for my new home, and relief that I had not landed in a hellhole, I began an internet search to establish a base of knowledge to work up this blog.  Within a short time I came across this website:

On this site was the image of a book, a big beautiful book bound in leathers, that attracted my attention and my internet search ended right there in a library of data.  Guy Burns has done an enormous amount of research on this area, has gathered into one place enough data to keep me reading for six months and put paid to the idea that I could cover the history of this town armed with a few readings and a few short words.  Thank you for sharing that Guy Burns.

So, before I settle into some serious reading I’ll take advantage of living in a small town and walk to the library and Post Office.  Later tonight a starlit walk before bed and in the morning I have my dawn walk to the free camp just out of town to plan the coming day.  I predict my stay here will involve, if nothing else, a lot of walking.

RV Rest Area Julia Creek


Claire Wood
email:  longline8@gmail.com

For further information on Julia Creek, check out the following websites:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment